This reliable recipe is a revised version of one I found in my mother’s 1953 cookbook. I modified it to fit my family’s taste buds.
It makes one 9 inch pie.
As a gluten-free option, cook the pie without the crust to make a delicious baked pumpkin custard dessert.
- Pastry for one 1 crust pie
- 1 1/2 cups cooked small pie pumpkin meat or canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2/3 cup (6 oz) evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the pumpkin, sugar, spices, and salt together using a mixer or a blender.
- Mix in the eggs and evaporated milk.
- Lay the pastry in a pie tin, crimp the sides and poke a few holes in the crust with a fork to prevent it from bubbling.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pastry-lined pie tin.
- Cover the pie with a second crust and flute the sides together.
- Cover the edges of the crust with a pie shield or tin foil to prevent burning.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out clean.
- Take the pie out of the oven, remove the foil or pie shields, and serve once it has cooled.
Storage and Use
Pumpkin pies must be refrigerated to prevent spoilage.