Childhood should be fun but hay fever takes all the energy out of kids. This syrup was designed for children 2 years and older to take as a daily immune booster for allergy season. It has done well with children with mold and animal allergies too. The naturally sweet taste translates into an easy to administer dose for even finicky kids. Just a spoonful with meals and before nightly tooth brushing is all that is needed.
For more information on how to ease sinus conditions holistically, see The Practical Herbalist’s Herbal Treatment for Sinus Infections.
- 1/4 cup dried Nettle leaf
- 1/4 dried Elderberries
- 2 tablespoons dried Yarrow
- 2 tablespoons dried Rosehips
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups honey
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 set of measuring spoons
- 2 small cook pots (1 with lid)
- 1 strainer
- 1 clean, resealable bottle
- 1 label
- Pour the herbs into the cook pot and heat to boiling.
- Take cook pot immediately off the heat source, cover the pot with a lid, and allow herbs to steep for 20 minutes.
- Pour herbs through the strainer and keep 2 cups of herbally infused water for syrup.
- Using The Practical Herbalist’s simple Syrup Making Instructions, heat honey, and infused water to make syrup.
- More honey may be added for a sweeter syrup.
- Pour the finished product into the bottle and label it clearly.
Allergy Defense for Babies
The recipe for allergy defense may be refined for children under 2. The herbs (without the honey) may be brewed into a tea by following the directions to step #2. Serve the tea after it has cooled in a bottle or sippy cup. A small child will only need a spoonful of tea added to their juice or water.
Nursing mothers may drink the tea and then nurse their child to transfer the important constituents through their breast milk. This formula is safe for all ages.
Storage and Use
Store your Allergy Defense Syrup in a labeled resealable container in the refrigerator.