Minor Blue Green Dragon Decoction is a well known Kampo medicine blend that treats and prevents influenza, otherwise known as the flu. It’s also effective for treating respiratory allergies like hay fever. This formula is based on the traditional Japanese herbal wisdom we honor deeply. The formula usually has ephedra in it to ease congestion. Ephedra isn’t sold in the United States due to an FDA ban in 2004.
This formula strives to honor the original blend while substituting herbs that are more readily available in our country. We look forward to the day when education is more broadly available about all herbs and our culture is prepared to use them responsibly. Until then, we’re confident this formula will bring as much healing to you as it has to us.
If you like your decoction sweet but want to avoid sugar, a few herbals and others you might try include:
- 1/2 tsp. dried elecampane root
- 1/2 tsp. dried licorice root
- 1/2 tsp. cordyceps mushroom
- 1/2 tsp. dried white peony root
- 1/2 tsp. ginger root (freshly grated is best)
- 1/2 tsp. dried schisandra berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cups water (depending on how strong you want the results)
- 1 spoon
- cooking pot with a lid
- Pour the herbs into the pot with the water.
- Gently bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Stir the mixture with a spoon. Try not to break up the plant parts since this will release the essential oils.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Strain the mixture through a strainer into a cup.
- Sweeten if necessary.
Storage and Use
This recipe makes up a little more product than one person will be reasonably able to drink in a sitting. Either share it with friends or put the remainder in a jar or thermos to drink throughout the day. Do not store it for the next day. Make it fresh daily.
You can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time to be brewed later. Keep the cinnamon sticks separate to be added at the time of brewing.