Allergies, colds, and flus all leave their mark on our poor sinuses. Sinus congestion leads to other unpleasant problems like coughing, sneezing, congestion, clogged ears and headaches. This formula is my favorite for draining the sinuses and keeping them clear. I take 2 droppers full in water with every meal and just before bed during allergy season. I will take it for 3 or 4 days after symptoms clear up just to be sure that the real problem is solved. Reduce the dose for children and the elderly.
This is not intended as a blend to loosen phlegm from the nasal passages. The Practical Herbalist has a number of other options including the Sinus Drain Formula.
For more information on how to ease sinus conditions holistically, see The Practical Herbalist’s Herbal Treatment for Sinus Infections.
For more information on how to make your own tinctures, see The Practical Herbalist’s Tincture Instructions.
- 2 parts Oregon Grape root tincture
- 2 parts Elderberry tincture
- 2 parts Elecampane root tincture
- 2 parts Usnea lichen tincture
- 1 part Yarrow flower and leaf tincture
- 1 part Horseradish root tincture
- 10 drops Cayenne pepper tincture per 1 ounce finished remedy
- measuring cups
- a spatula
- a funnel
- a label
- a large dark bottle with lid
I like to fill a small 1 ounce, labeled bottle with a dropper as a usage bottle then refill it from the larger bottle I reserve for bulk storage.
- Gather the ingredients along with the equipment in a clean, well lit, work space.
- Pour the first 6 individual ingredients, one at a time, into a clear measuring cup.
- When the total amount of tincture is established, calculate the amount of cayenne tincture needed.
- Add the cayenne tincture by counting the drops into the the measuring cup.
- Mix the ingredients carefully.
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a dark colored glass bottle and cap it securely.
- Label the bottle with the name of the tincture blend and add the date.
Storage and Use
Store your tincture bottle in a cool dark place. Tinctures have a shelf life of 5 to 7 years depending on the quality of your storage conditions.
Oregon Grape tincture may be substituted with Goldenseal root tincture or Coptis tincture. Elderberry tincture may be substituted with Prunella (Heal-all) tincture or Echinacea tincture.
Recommended dosage for adults: 2 dropper’s full 3 times daily with meals and 2 dropper’s full before bed.