The American Heart Association recommends a Omega fatty acid rich diet in order to protect against heart disease. They also help rebuild cells which supports healthy brain and nerve function. Omega fatty acids are sadly missing in the standard American diet. This recipe has a delicious mix of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids tucked into the nuts and seeds that make Crunchy, Munchy Granola so tasty.
Grade B maple syrup is a little more expensive than other maple syrup types but the flavor and nutritional value is well worth the extra money.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp nuts
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons milled flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup black-strap molasses
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried raspberries or raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients (except dried raspberries or raisins) in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix honey, maple syrup, and oil in a small saucepan on the stove on medium/low heat until warm.
- Stir vanilla into wet ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients thoroughly with dry ingredients.
- Spread granola evenly on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes taking it out 3 or 4 times to stir the mixture to be certain that it is thoroughly heated.
- Stir in optional dried raspberries or raisins.
- Cool the finished granola before serving.
Storage and Use
This granola must be stored in an airtight container to prevent getting stale.