A friend of mine had a dog who suffered from digestive problems. She tried a variety of expensive dog food brands on him with little effect. She took him to the vet for help but was met with disappointment. Her dog just couldn’t eat without getting sick. Without proper nourishment, her dog would die.
She and I put our heads together and came up with a canine-friendly formula to help him get back on track. She switched his diet to a high fiber dog food recommended by her vet along with a spoonful of the blend twice a day for 3 months along with a regular dose of probiotics until he was back to his old self again. She is still careful with his diet, no human food for her special boy, but she keeps a little bottle of Canine Digestive Remedy on hand just in case.
Glycerites are easy and inexpensive to make. Follow the instructions on our Making Glycerites instruction page.
- 2 parts Plantian herb glycerite
- 2 parts Marshmallow root glycerite
- 2 parts Slippery Elm bark glycerite
- 1 part Licorice root glycerite
- 1/2 tsp Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) powder per 28 oz of finished formula
- measuring cups
- a spatula
- a funnel
- a label
- a large dark bottle with lid
- Gather the ingredients along with the equipment in a clean, well lit, work space.
- Pour the individual ingredients, one at a time, into a clear measuring cup.
- Add the appropriate amount of Vitamin C powder.
- Mix the ingredients carefully.
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a darkly-colored glass bottle and cap it securely.
- Label the bottle with the name of the tincture blend and add the date.
Storage and Use
Store your tincture bottle in a cool dark place. Glycerites have a shelf life of 1 to 2 years depending on the quality of your storage conditions. Refrigeration extends the life of your glycerites.
Recommended dosage for dogs:
Teacup breeds – 1/2 tsp blend, 2 times daily
Small dogs under 25 lbs – 1 or 2 tsp, 2 times daily
Medium dogs between 25 – 50 lbs – 1 tbsp, 2 times daily
Large dogs heavier than 50 lbs – 2 tbsp, 2 times daily
Giant breeds heavier than 100 lbs – 3 or 4 tbsp, 2 times daily