Fruit salad is a popular summer treat. All you need is an handful of fruit and you have a refreshing treat that is just as good for breakfast as it is for dessert. Adding fresh Lemon Balm to this dish really makes it sing!
It makes 5 servings.
- 1 cup chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped oranges
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup chopped peaches
- 1 cup chopped bananas
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh Lemon Balm leaves – 1 sprig
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- Peel the banana, orange, and peaches.
- Chop the fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Strip the Lemon Balm leaves from the stem and finely chop them. (Compost the stem.)
- Mix the ingredients together in a serving bowl.
- Add the lime juice and stir gently.
- Chill the covered fruit salad for 1 hour before serving.
This dish is best eaten fresh. Refrigerate the remaining fruit salad in a covered container for a few days without the lemon juice and bananas, then add the lemon juice and bananas just before serving to prevent browning. The leftover fruit salad can also be blended into a smoothie with a little yogurt.
Try substituting grapes for strawberries or nectarines for peaches or use lemon juice instead of lime juice. 1/2 cup chopped peeled Kiwi fruit can be added to the salad as well as 1/4 cup dried cranberries.